Tuesday, May 17, 2011

We moved to Arizona and had a flood... wait, what?

Yesterday started out pretty normal. It was Aurora’s first time sleeping in her big girl bed and our dog, Piston, woke her up extra early. No big deal, we started our day and I got a lot done. I did some laundry, vacuumed, took care of the dishes, and enjoyed time with Aurora. I was so tired from our first night of big girl bed time. I stayed on her floor until she fell asleep and then stayed up late finishing some homework. I thought a nap would be great and I didn’t want to be up all night again working on projects. So, I decided even though we hadn’t bought a new crate for Piston yet, Aurora and I would take a walk over to McDonalds and she could play while I finished up some work. I took everything out of Aurora’s large bathroom and made Piston a little area. I didn’t think he could get into any trouble, I mean, it’s an empty bathroom right? What could he hurt? I never realized how much water could come out of a toilet…

Yes, that’s right, he attacked the toilet. He lost it when we left and attacked the toilet breaking the line the leads to the water tank. I have no idea for how long. Aurora and I were walking home from being at McDonalds for about two hours when I ran into one of the complex workers near our apartment. When he told me that the downstairs neighbors called complaining about water coming from the ceiling, I lost it. We flew up the stairs and as soon as I opened the door I saw it, water. It was in just about every room of our two bedroom apartment. When I stepped into the hallway my feet, up to my ankles, were completely covered with water. I was in shock. My heart sank into my stomach and I didn’t know what to do. My emotions were high and I just started crying. The poor guys that work in our complex tried to calm me down. They helped scooping water into the tub and I tried to keep Aurora out of the water and get as much stuff into a dry area. I was thankful that our kitchen wasn’t affected. I started pilling everything into there.


{source}


Aurora’s room got it the worst. A lot of her things were completely water logged. The carpet it in room was completely covered in water. I’m so thankful that other than some stuff animals and toys we didn’t have that much damage. It’s a miracle. Somehow our furniture is all intact and the guy who came for the carpets said that they wouldn’t need replaced that they will dry out. I’m so glad it was fresh water that came out. All of my products listed in my Etsy shop somehow escaped the waters that were rushing into our bed room closet. It’s amazing. Other than an aching back from moving everything out of the way, I’m fine and so is everyone else. We’re at a local hotel for the next two days until the guy can cames back to check on the carpets. I hope they are dry so we can get back in and start the cleaning process.

When all this first happened I was completely ready to give up Piston. This had done it for me. He has destroyed a couch, two recliners, a countless number of toys, broken plates, ruined the carpet, destroyed the blinds and so much more. We got him about a year and a half ago when he was only a year old. He was never crate trained and one of his owners was home with him all the time. He’s not used to people leaving, and I get that. I love him to death, but I can’t stop doing things because he’s crazy. I also feel really terrible because I can only image how scared he was when all that water came rushing out at him. I didn’t even think of that until later. Poor guy, I just shoved him out on the patio, I was so angry. He’s at his favorite place right now, the doggie hotel. I’m hoping that we can come up with some kind of solution. With the new baby on the way I’m just completely freaked out on what will happen nest.


{source}


This crazy thing that happened to us made me really think about what’s been going on in America. As I was cleaning I was thinking about all the people in the south affected by the tornados and recent flood waters. The water in our house will dry and in a few days we will be able to get back home again. So many people in our own country won’t be able to do that. I didn’t really lose anything, so many have lost everything. We’re all healthy and fine but how many loved ones have been lost? When I came home and walked in the door and saw all that water I was so hurt. I can only image what it would be like to drive down the street to where my house used to stand and see nothing left but rubble. I want to encourage anyone and everyone who is able to donate what they can to the Salvation Army or other wonderful organizations helping out. So many people need so much more than just food and shelter, they are going to have to start all over again. It’s hard to think when living in our cozy homes, feeling safe, that it could be gone in the blink of an eye. My prayers and good thoughts go out to all the families who have been a part of this weather tragedy that just doesn’t seem to want to let go. God help us put the devastated parts of our country back together.

Wow, and I thought I was lacking in things to blog about this week…

3 comments:

  1. the weather is being so crazy right now and my thoughts & love go out to all those effected by, basically global warming...nothing much we can do but help support those you have lost homes and loved ones. donating is a great way to help!

    sorry to hear about piston. he sounds like he just needs 24/7 love which i am sure you give him but he has the separation anxiety that is hard to get rid of...have you talked to anyone on what to do? or maybe google and see what others do? it will all work out it always does.

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of those water color paintings they are adorable! This totally sucks, I am so sorry. I can't even imagine coming home to a flood! UGH. My basement has flooded twice this year.. With POOP. so gross.. Luckly the basement has no carpet just cement.. and there is a drain down there... and my wonderful dad has come over both times and done most all of the cleaning. I am so glad it hasn't happened where my actual stuff is! So I kind of know the feeling. Poor pup he must have been scared! Sometimes I get so upset at my dogs because they will chew on anything with cotton. Ruining all of their toys the first like 10 minutes I give them to them.. and then they will tear holes in my couch pillows. ARGH. We had to keep our old torn up couch when we got our new one so they wouldn't chew on the new one. I'm sorry girl! I hope everything turns out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no i'm so sorry to hear about the flood and having a difficult doggie! hopefully you will come up with a solution that will work out best for you and your family. <3

    ReplyDelete