Friday, November 5, 2010

Good VS Bad: Round One

What makes something good vs. something that is bad? I was sifting through some blog post via Google and I came across some poorly manufactured blogs. Then I thought to myself; what makes this blog so bad? Someone obviously spent the time to create it, who am I to judge its worth? We all do it. I guess that's just it. We all have levels of experience in life so one man trash is really another man's treasure. This goes for a lot of things. If my husband and I were walking down the same street and passed by the same store chances are we wouldn't want to go into the same ones. Even though we're married and share a lot in common we don't have the same taste or views all the time.

Look at mass marketing. If a beer company is going to advertise they are going to do it in a way that promotes there select demographic to go out and buy their type of beer instead of their competitor. Some people who don’t drink beer or don’t drink period might find their ads offensive, but that is how it works. Sometimes they are trying to bring in the new drinkers to their product though, making it looking delicious, refreshing, and fun. Personally I think most beer is gross and I would prefer to suck on my left big toe then drink a can of it, but that’s just one girl opinion.

You can’t make everyone happy all the time. Someone somewhere is going to take one glimpse of the first line of this blog entry and pass right on by. That’s okay though. No matter how many rewrites you do or how many different ways you put something together, someone somewhere isn’t going to like it. That’s what makes everyone a little special. If we all liked the same thing at the same time what would the world be? I wouldn’t want to live there! I want to choice to prefer mint chocolate chip ice cream vs. someone else loving moose tracks. I want to choice to have passion for something that someone wouldn’t understand of give two cents about.

We can look at art in the same way. I might like some things that people are going to look at and think: “That’s not art!” But who is to say that it’s not art? Just because it’s not hanging in some museum doesn’t mean it’s not art. To me the art on my fridge my daughter drew is beautiful. She is expressing herself the best way she can. Isn’t that what art is all about? With the ability for people all over the world to buy, sell, and trade on the internet, it’s opened a whole new world for artists. Any Joe Nobody off the street can but a painting online and says “Hey, this is art buy it!” And people will buy it. It’s a matter of taste.

It’s always good to introduce someone to something they may not have experienced because they don’t think it’s in their taste. If you’ve never experienced it how do you know you won’t like it? Just tonight I put one of my favorite movies of all time “Moulin Rouge” and my husband was shocked that Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman were in the movie. He also found out what great music it had. Knowing my husband as I do I didn’t think he was all that interested in watching the movie. Well, we were both wrong. I was wrong and thought I knew his taste and he was wrong about what the movie actually was, but how could he know until someone showed him? You never really know until you try.

So today my friends, I encourage you to share something with some else that they may not have seen or experienced before. It may just be worth it for both of you.

Here’s what I’m sharing with you:

1) Watch Moulin Rouge because it’s beautiful.



2) Go check out Michele Maule’s art because it’s lovely.



3) Read Night by Elie Wiesel because it changed my life.





Happy Trails.

2 comments: