Thursday, December 2, 2010

Good VS Bad: Round Two

I was contemplating my “Good VS. Bad: Round One” post from earlier last month and I realized that there is so much more I’d like to share. I’ll summarize just a little for you; most of the time due to our own human nature we judge things we see on first glance or from hear say instead of letting whatever it may be get a chance to impact us as people. Marketing industries around the world have created specific brands for every specific type of person to like one and not the other. Not everyone fits into perfect little molds that society tries to pack us into though. I encourage everyone to step outside their comfort zones just a little and try enjoying something they typically wouldn’t even take a second glance at. For example: if it wasn’t for my husband I would have always HATED that “redneck” music, but now I don’t know what I would do without my country! A genre of music is so wide anymore, you can be amazed at the treasures you’ll find in the strangest places.

On that note…

Here are some of my very favorite albums that I couldn’t live without. Maybe you’ve heard them, maybe you haven’t, but they could be worth exploring.

I don’t really know if I should start off on this one but it’s my favorite so I’m okay with that. Hanson’s latest album “Shout it Out” is incredible. If you’re asking yourself “Hanson’s? You mean MMMbop? They’re still around?” Yes my friends they are still around and have since 1997 been a key player in my music influence, but I’ll save the rest for later. This album is pretty much a summer album. It has great songs with amazing horn arrangements and a beat you can dance too. I couldn’t really decide if I wanted to share this album with you or their 2004 album “Underneath.” Something about the songs on the earlier album that just speak to me. Either way, the guys are still around, they are killer live, and you should give them a chance, they might surprise you.




For whatever reason Nickel Creek’s “Why Should the Fire Die” has become essential listen music while I’m doing my homework. It’s your unconventional country/folk/blue grass that has great passion behind it. It’s a very moody album and I love the vocals. I also love the fact that it has two instrumental tracks on it. It keeps up the pace in my mind so I can keep chugging along at my studies. They are a great band and this is a really awesome album.




Another essential homework listening music has been Death Cab for Cutie “Narrow Stairs.” I love the lead singer’s quirky voice and the instrumentals are to die for. Some of the songs also make me giggle a little, which I’m not sure if that’s what their intent was but “Your new twin sized bed” might be one of my favorite songs. They are defiantly different and I know a lot of people like them but my question is really, why?




Next up on my list is Jason Mraz “We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.” Okay so this album made it to the list for a few reasons. One of my favorite songs of his “Details in the Fabric” with James Morrison is on this CD and I just love taking a deep breath and listening to this song. The harmonies are right on and sometimes give me chills. Another reason why I had to put Jason Mraz on the list is because he’s one of Aurora’s favorite singers. There was a period of time where we couldn’t be in the car unless I put on some Jason Mraz, or as she used to call him “Dasha Ma!” He as a great message I think and also really fun music to dance too, it’s the best of both worlds!




Another album I can’t seem to live without is KT Tunstall “Eye to the Telescope.” I remember when I first heard her. Marc and I used to always watch music videos on CMT (country station) I think we may have watched that more than anything else on TV and when I saw her video for “Black Horse & The Cherry Tree” I was hooked. I’m pretty sure I bought the CD from the Starbucks I was working at the time. I just love her deep scratchy voice and lovely lyrics.




I can’t forget one of my all time favorites Anna Nalick. Listening to her “Wreak of the Day” album to me is like rolling my windows down in my old beat up Chevi Prizm and singing as loudly as I possibly can no matter who is at the light next to me. Every time I listen to it I swear I hear something new in these songs. Anyone else have an album that makes them feel that way?




Okay last one and I swear I’m done! Weezer “The Red Album,” yeah I know it’s out of left field right? I have a list of chill out mellow music and then… Weezer? Let me explain. Back in the day I was very much into the rock/punk music. I always thought I was going to be in an awesome rock band, while everything changes for a reason. I love this album must because I used to BLAST it in my car on my way to work particularly “Pork and Beans.” I used to work in a salon and let’s just say I didn’t completely fit the mold they were looking for and… just listen to the song, you’ll get it.





Wow, I have so many more that I want to share but I think I’ll put a cap on it there and call it done. What music do you listen too? I’d love to hear some new stuff! I must say I’ve been pretty turned off by everything “radio” plays in the past couple of years, they defiantly are trying to appease my “mold” if you get what I’m saying, or maybe I’m just not giving it a chance. Well… let me know what you think!

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment