All over the web you will find a million blogs and websites with a million different ways to tell you have to make a great blog. They will tell you how to get the most traffic, how to cater towards your audience, and even make a profit from blogging. I am taking a moment to add to the list of successful blog advice sites. I may still be a beginner, and I don’t have a zillion followers, but I have ideas and since I have a blog so I am going to share them.
1) Be Yourself. I think it’s really important to stay true to who you are as a person on your blog. It’s easy to lose yourself in links, photos, and information. Don’t forget that you are really the true story behind you blog. No matter if your blog is about family, cooking, or crafting you are the author.
2) Be Kind. I love getting comments on my blog. It makes my day bright and makes blogging feel worth it. Writing nasty comments to someone on their blog just isn’t cool. Let’s all follow the golden rule here people: Do unto others as you would have done to you.
3) If you express an opinion expect an opinion back. If you go on a rampage about a touchy subject expect negative feedback. This goes a long with #2. If you go on a tangent about on a touchy subject people are going to react, both in a negative way and in a positive way. Now if your blog is full of touchy subjects then you should be used to bad comments, but sometimes they can be pretty shocking, so be prepared!
4) Don’t forget to have a life. I think this one is mainly for me. I have a total obsessive personality, so when I find something I like, my world revolves around it. I can’t help but check my blog a million times a day, and read through my dashboard just as much. Sometimes I have to slap myself and remember there are other things in life besides blogging. And if I didn’t have a life, what would I blog about?
5) Be original. Although it might be the highest form of flattery copying another person’s work it isn’t very nice. A blogger probably worked very hard to come up with the ideas for their site, stealing it isn’t cool. There are a ton of blogs out there that have very similar, but they all stand out because of the individual nature the author gives them. I’m not saying don’t use someone else’s ideas as inspiration; just make it your own. Who wants a carbon copy?
6) Take your own advice. You can read and research and copy as much as you want but when you start blogging you are out there on your own. You’ll have the support of a million great bloggers but on that computer screen it’s all about you. If you don’t enjoy your own blog it will show. Have fun! People will want to come see your blog if you want to come see your blog!
7) Write about what you want to write about. Chances are no matter what you write about someone in the world is going to be interested in reading about it. It could be the most off the wall topic but someone in the south of no where will be interested in the same thing. Don’t be afraid to take a risk sometimes. It’s totally worth it.
I know I have a bunch of more things I say about blogging but I’m going to leave it at that for now. Enjoy the people you meet, and the things you find in the blogging world.
What blogging advice do you have?