Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Overcoming my fear of…

the sewing machine.



{source}


I consider myself a pretty crafty lady. I’m not the best at everything but I’ll try anything at least one time. I really enjoy finding new outlets for my creativity, and I’m really still trying to find my niche in the crafting world. Back in the days of Home Economics I was a wiz kid on the sewing machine. I made just about everything and I really enjoyed it. I was a “tom boy” though, so sewing wasn’t supposed to fit into the things I did. I stopped soon after those classes ended and never touched a sewing machine again. New that I’m older I wish I never would have stopped. I received a really nice sewing machine from my parents two Christmases ago and it still sits in it case. I’ve attempted to use it a few times, but got frustrated and gave up.


{source}


Traci and Jasmine over at Butter Toast has decided to create a lovely bunting banner to decorate their already beautiful shop. I then began to think of my fear of my sewing machine and home many amazing projects I’m missing out on because I’m too scared to use it. Really, I’m afraid of making mistakes. If I can’t do something perfect the very first time I do it I tend to give up on it. It shouldn’t be that way and I definitely don’t want my kids learning from my poor example! So I’m going to take out the old sewing machine and for the next couple of weeks really give it my best. I have some time off from school, and even though I have a million things on my “to do list”, I think I need to try something new. Who knows what will come of it!


{source}


If you have any tips or sewing machine ticks PLEASE let me know! I’ve been perusing the Burda Style website for some ideas but I can use all the help I can get.

Oh, and thanks to Traci for inspiring me to overcome my fear! (Good luck with the Bunting!!)

2 comments:

  1. I got a sewing machine at my bridal shower and I love it!! Unfortunately most of the time I forget its there tho! I've only used it maybe 3 times in the 9 months that i've had it tho. I also used to be really good on a sewing machine but it is apparently NOT like riding a bike! haha!! Hopefully we both get the hang of it soon!!! Good luck!! Can't wait to see that fun stuff you make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have sewing machine fear as well! i can pull off a simple pillow, but i'm not one for patterns and following instructions. hot glue is much more my style! good luck with the machine though!

    ReplyDelete