Tuesday, February 15, 2011

someone call the board of health, kat cooked!!!

First off let me start with say that I HATE cooking. If you didn’t already know this fact it is one of my least favorite tasks. I think the main reason I had cooking is that it grosses me out. I hate seeing food, mainly meat; go from its uncooked form to cooked. The smell the texture… ew… I have come very close to becoming a vegetarian many times. Not that that would really matter now, I cook for my family and that’s the important part.

I’ve been trying to find new recipes to try to get us out of our food rut. We always make the same stuff over and over, and frankly, if I have to eat another noodle I might vomit. I have also been trying to make much healthier meals. With the second lil one is brewing inside me, I’m TERRIFIED of how much weight I’m going to be gaining this time around. I’m much hungrier than I was with Aurora. Hungry hits me like a ton a bricks. It’s either eat that very second or pass out, scary.

So, to get to the point, last night I attempted to make stuffed peppers, and amazingly no one got sick and they tasted great! They are so easy and super filling! If my husband (the bottomless pit) could only eat one, so I did a good job!

After searching google and consulting with my mother, I came up with a pretty happy recipe. I found it on Allrecipes.com.



Ingredients
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
• 1 cup water
• 6 green bell peppers
• 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Directions
1.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned.
3. Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)
4. In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers.
5. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.

I did change it slightly. I didn’t use tomato sauce with seasoning; I decide on Classico’s Four Cheese Pasta sauce. I mixed that in with the rice and meat as well as putting it on top (with shredded cheese of course!) They turned out soooo yummy. I’m definitely going to make them again.

Wow, I can’t believe I just blogged about food… crazy! What's your favorite recipe? I need some more ideas!!!

3 comments:

  1. hahahah. You make me laugh. I am totally the same way about food. I hate cooking, especially raw meat or eggs too! I always feel like I am going to make my husband and myself sick haha. My mom used to make stuffed peppers all the time when I was youger. I haven't had them forever and now I am craving them. Maybe I will attempt them this week. Thanks for the recipe. I hope your having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! Looks great!

    xo
    Janelle

    www.janellehaskin.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so good! I adore brownies, there'd be my 'eat forever on' choice. x hivennn

    ReplyDelete